They are finally FINISHED!!!

/ Wednesday, January 18, 2012 /
Actually I finished these before Christmas. Just in time to wrap them up and stick them under the tree.


If you remember way, way, way, way, way back when... I did a tutorial for this keepsake scarf.



The scarf was made from scraps I had leftover after cutting all the pieces for the quilts. Finally, over a year later, I finished both quilts. The quilts themselves actually didn't take that long at all. The quilts spent most of the year seeing nothing more than the inside of a box while I procrastinated. I tried blaming it on the many moves, not enough space, not enough time, ect... but in all reality. I just didn't have the motivation to do it. I attempted... Many, many times... But every time I pulled out that mountain of fabric squares, I was instantly overwhelmed. It was finally around October that I decided, once and for all, I was going to finish them.

  • Each square was 7x7in and I used 144 squares per blanket. (288 total)
  • I started by matching two squares up and sewing them (wrong sides together) with a big X across the middle. (you could also add a layer of batting between the fabric but since we live in a fairly warm climate I chose not to.)
  • I then placed them out on our bed to decide where I wanted each square to go. I wanted it to look random but I didn't want two of the same squares next to each other.
  • Once all the squares were sewn together I started sewing each individual row together. Leaving a half inch seam for the 'rag' look and making sure all the seams were facing the right direction.
  • I then began sewing the rows together. Again using a half inch seam with all seams facing the same direction.
  • Then comes the fun part!!! Cutting all those seams!!! I did mine over a few days in order to avoid painful hand cramps. (I still remember the ones I got from the scarves). We also took a trip to a town about an hour away. Hubby was driving so I thought it would be a good chance for me to finish up the last of my cutting. THIS WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA!! I had tiny little pieces of thread all over me and the car. These things do make a mess so be sure you cut them in a place that can be cleaned easily.
  • After all of the cutting was done, I threw them in the dryer and checked the lint trap about ever 10 minutes. It's important to do this since they create a lot of lint and you don't want it clogging up your dryer. 

The finished blankets measured 48x54 inches. 
They are SUPER SOFT and the girls love them. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Home Sweet Home, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger