Reader Space - Valentine Onsie

/ Thursday, February 2, 2012 /


Katie from Little Becky Homecy, made the most adorable little Valentines onsies.

{the following is in the readers own words}

♥Getting ready for Valentines Day♥



Two of my best friends had baby girls in December and they both live back in the States, so I decided to get started a bit early on some Valentine's gifts.


Aren't they just the cutest? I love the way they turned out. I have done a couple rag quilts before and I just love the way they fray up.


I decided to share this tutorial with you so that you too can make an adorable onesie for a lovely little one in your life. This can be done on any sized shirt, I just decided a onesie would be best for the babies.

Here are the materials you will need:




Onesie (or any other shirt depending on the size)

Red fabric (I used flannel because it frays so nicely)

Heart stencil (or if you're feeling frisky, you can free hand it)

Scissors and retractable scissors 

Fabric marker

Fabric glue

Coordinating thread



First, cut out your stencil and lay it on the onesie to be sure it is the right size. I made mine about a half inch bigger than I really needed it because the ends would fray up and shrink.



Next, fold the stencil in half, lay it on the fold of the fabric and trace it using your fabric marker. Be sure the fabric is pre-washed so that it doesn't bleed onto your new white onesie.







Cut your heart out of the fabric. Don't worry too much about the edges being perfect because when it frays it will hide any imperfections.




I decided to glue the heart onto my onesie so that it didn't move to much while I was sewing. REMEMBER not to glue all the way to the edges because that part is going to be cut to fray. Squirt a little bit of glue on the back of the heart and spread it around with your finger. You don't need a lot because you are still going to sew it down on to the shirt.




Flip it over and center it on the onesie.




Next you sew it on. I started sewing about an inch in from the edge of the fabric.  You will notice on this one I started at the point on the bottom and backstitched a few at the beginning and end, however, on the second one, I started in the "cleavage" of the heart and it was much easier. At the point(bottom), I just lowered my needle, and rotated. (I used black on this one to show you what it looks like...and yes I realize it is not perfect, but with coordinating thread, you wont see it much PLUS, the frays of the fabric from washing will cover most of it.




Now that you have it all on the onesie, all you need to do is clip the edge using your retractable scissors. I clipped in to about 1/4" from the thread outline every 1/4" or so. This is not an exact science, so the more you want it to fray, the closer together the snips should be. Now it is not completely necessary to use retractable scissors, but if I was going to be making more than one or two, I would definitely recommend using them. Your hand will be quite tired after a few.




**Be careful not to get the scissors caught on the onesie while you are cutting. You will end up with little holes under the heart edges. Not cute!




That's it. You can see on the onesie on the bottom part of the picture, I used red thread so it is much less noticeable.




Put them in the washer without fabric softener for the first wash. Then dry as normal in the dryer. After one wash, this is what it looked like. I washed it one more time (using fabric softener the second time) and that was it. You can see the finished product after the second wash at the top of this tutorial.



Good luck making this cute little Valentine's gift and let me know if you have any questions. Also, I appreciate any comments you have to give. Thanks!!

Please be sure to visit Little Beck Homecky for more fabulous ideas.

Do YOU have a great DIY tutorial that you would like to share?
Fill out my 'Feature Me' form found under the 'Get Featured' Tab at the top of the page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Home Sweet Home, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger